Department of English, Linguistics and Communication
University of Mary Washington
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401 (540) 654-2355
University of Mary Washington
|Associate Professor of Digital Studies, Department of English, Linguistics and Communication.||2014 – present|
|Teaching, Technology, and Innovation Fellow||2015 – 2017|
|Assistant Professor of New Media, Department of English, Linguistics and Communication.||2008 – 2014|
University of Florida
|Teaching Assistant, Department of English.||2002 – 2008|
|Alumni Doctoral Fellow.||2004 – 2008|
|Image Lab Assistant, CLAS Computing.||2003 – 2008|
|Research Assistant, Comics Studies.||2004|
- Ph.D. in English; University of Florida, 2008
- Focus: Digital Media/Visual Rhetoric, Video Game Studies
- Dissertation: “The Videogame Text: Typography and Textuality.”
- Directors: Dr. Donald Ault and Dr. Terry Harpold.
- M.A. in English; University of Florida; May 2004
- Focus: Digital Media Studies
- Thesis: “Play Along: Video Game Music as Metaphor and Metonymy.”
- Directors: Dr. J. Yellowlees Douglas, Dr. Donald Ault.
- B.A. in Philosophy, English, minor in Music; Carson-Newman College; May 2002
- Honors Thesis: “TheorySpace v2.03 : Applications of Critical Theory in Hypertext Literature”
- Directors: Dr. Ernest Lee and Dr. D. Brian Austin.
Honors, Grants and Awards
- Outstanding Mid-Career Faculty Award, 2017.
- Teaching, Technology and Innovation Fellowship, 2015-2017.
- CAS Summer Pedagogy Grant, 2016.
- UMW Jepson Fellowship, 2013 – 2014
- UMW Faculty Development Supplemental Grants (travel funding), 10 total between 2009 and 2014
- Faculty Research Grant, Summer 2009 (UMW)
- Designated Travel Grant, 2009 (TeachUMW )
- Alumni Fellowship, 2004 – 2008 (University of Florida)
- Grinter Fellowship, 2002 – 2004 (University of Florida)
- Departmental Travel Awards, 3 awards from 2002 – 2007 (University of Florida)
- Disability in Comic Books and Graphic Narratives.
- Eds. Chris Foss, Jonathan W. Gray and Zach Whalen. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2016.
- Playing the Past: History and Nostalgia in Video Games.
- Eds. Zach Whalen and Laurie N. Taylor. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press, 2008.
- “Deviant Materialities: Reflective Surfaces and Hollow Bodies in CSI”
- Refractory: a Journal of Entertainment Media. 13 (2008). <http://blogs.arts.unimelb.edu.au/refractory/2008/05/24/deviant-materials-reflecting-surfaces- and-hollow-bodies-in-csi-zach-whalen/>
- “Game Studies and Web 2.0: Finding an Audience Online”
- Flow. Department of Radio-TV-Film at UT Austin. Special Video Games Issue (2007). <http://flowtv.org/?p=51>
- “Game/Genre: A critique of Generic Formulas in Video Games in the Context of ‘The Real'”
- Works and Days 22:43/44 (2004): 289 – 303.
- “Play Along: An Approach to Video Game Music”
- Game Studies: The International Journal of Computer Game Research
- “Ludology — Who Gets to Play?”
- M/C: A Journal of Media and Culture 7:2. (March 2004). <http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0403/08-ludology.php>.
- “From Feats of Clay to Narrative Prose/Thesis.”
- Disability in Comic Books and Graphic Narratives. Eds. Chris Foss, Jonathan W. Gray and Zach Whalen. Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
- “Mainframe Games.”
- Encyclopedia of Video Games. Ed. Mark J.P. Wolf. Greenwood Press, 2013.
- “Channel F for Forgotten: The Video Entertainment System.”
- Before the Crash. Ed. Mark J.P. Wolf. Wayne State University Press, 2012.
- Taylor, Laurie N. and Zach Whalen. “Introduction to Playing the Past.”
- Playing the Past: Video Games, History, and Memory. Eds. Zach Whalen and Laurie N. Taylor. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt UP, 2008.
- “Film Music vs. Game Music: The Case of Silent Hill.”
- Music, Sound and Multimedia: From the Live to the Virtual. Ed. Jamie Sexton. Edinburgh: Edinburgh U P, 2007.
- “Cruising in San Andreas: Ludic Space and Urban Aesthetics in Grand Theft Auto”
- The Meaning and Culture of Grand Theft Auto. Ed. Nathan Garrelts. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press, 2006.
Other Scholarly Publications
- “Review of The Future was Here and Codename Revolution.”
- American Journal of Play. 6:1. (Fall 2013). <http://www.journalofplay.org/issues/6/1/book- review/6-future-was-here-commodore-amiga-jimmy-maher>
- “Created by Warren Robinnett”
- In Media Res. Politics of Media Archaeology, Ed. Matthew Stoddard. 9 August 2013. <http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2013/08/09/created-warren-robinett>.
- “Mr. and Mrs. Beauchamp of Olympus Heights”
- Play the Past. 20 August 2013. <http://www.playthepast.org/?p=3974>
- “It Moves”
- In Media Res. Digital Comics, Ed. Roger Whitson. 23 February 2012. <http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2012/02/23/it-moves>.
Conferences and Presentations
- “game(text): videogames and textual aesthetics”
- Invited Guest Lecture. Center for Digital Discourse and Culture, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, February 12, 2010.
- “The Videogame Text”
- Invited Guest Lecture. Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities’ Digital Dialogues series. University of Maryland. October 14, 2009.
- “Response: Curating Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities”
- 2017 Modern Language Association Convention, Philadelphia, PA, January 5, 2017.
- “Open Pedagogies: Levels of Learning, Support, and Community” (with Lee Skallerup-Bessette)
- 2016 Open Education Conference, Richmond, VA, November 3, 2016.
- “Twitter Bots, Operational Aesthetics & Dark UI”
- 2016 Electronic Literature Organization Conference, Victoria, BC, June 11, 2016.
- “Cat Facts, Animated GIFs, and Digital Community”
- 2016 UMW Faculty Gathering, May 11, 2016.
- “What Video Game History says about New Media Futures”
- 2015 Digital Scholarship Colloquium. UMW. February 4, 2015.
- “Airstream Futures”
- 2015 Modern Language Assocation Convention, Vancouver, BC, January 11, 2015.
- “Artistic and Literary Bots in Social Media”
- 2014 Electronic Literature Organization Conference. Milwaukee, WI, June 19, 2014.
- “Lexia to Perplexia (2000 – 2013)”
- 2014 Modern Language Association Convention, Chicago, IL, January 4, 2014
- “_ebooks, Typography, and Twitter Art”
- 2014 Modern Language Association Convention, Chicago, IL, January 5, 2014.
- “Videogame Typography and its Antecedents”
- 2013 Society for Textual Scholarship International Interdisciplinary Conference, March 6, 2013.
- “OCR and the Vestigial Aesthetics of Machine Vision”
- 2013 Modern Language Association Convention, Boston, MA, January 3, 2013.
- “A Counterfactual Historiography of Three Game Platforms”
- 2012 Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts Conference, Milwaukee, WI, September 29, 2012.
- “From Digital Storytelling to Electronic Literature”
- 2012 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 16, 2012.
- “‘//create magnetic children’: Game Code as Critical Paratext”
- 2012 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference, Boston, MA, March 23, 2012.
- “Close Enough”
- 2012 Modern Language Association Convention, Seattle, WA, January 7, 2012.
- “Alternate Reality Games, Transmedia Textuality, and the ImmaterialArchive”
- 2011 Modern Language Association Convention, Los Angeles, CA, January 8, 2011.
- “Is Digital Scholarship Really Scholarship?”
- 2010 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 12, 2010.
- “Zork and the Videogame Canon, or, a Program for Videogame Pedagogy”
- 2010 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference, Los Angeles, CA, March 20, 2010.
- “Alternate Reality Games and Futures of Textuality”
- 5th Annual Florida Digital Assembly Conference: Futures of Digital Studies, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. February 25, 2010.
- “How I use Drupal to roll my own”
- 2009 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 14, 2009.
- “Altering Reality: Teaching with and about ARGs”
- 2009 Faculty Academy. University of Mary Washington. May 14, 2009.
- “Ideology and Discourse in Videogame Co[ntext]de”
- Southern American Studies Association Biennial Meeting. George Mason University. Fairfax, VA. February 12, 2009.
- “An Archaeology of the Videogame Image”
- 2008 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference. Philadelphia, PA. March 7, 2008.
- “Quest for Saddam / Quest for Bush: Fantastic Abstractions in Videogame Rhetoric”
- UF English Graduate Organization 7th Annual Conference. Gainesville, FL. October 18, 2007.
- “Heads-Up Display: Text in the Videogame Interface”
- 2007 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference. Chicago, IL. March 9, 2007.
- “Lost in Emulation: World of Difference in Videogame Typography”
- 3rd Annual UF Game Studies Conference, “World Building: Space and Community.” Gainesville, FL. March 1, 2007.
- “Bodies and/as/of Evidence: CSI: Dark Motives and Uncanny Doubles”
- PCAS/ACAS 2005 Conference. Jacksonville, FL. October 4, 2005.
- “Reading as Cryptography: The Role of Encoding and Decoding in Digital and Print Culture”
- Elective Affinities IAWIS/AIERTI 7th International Conference on Word & Image Studies, Philadelphia, PA. September 26, 2005.
- “House of Leaves and Digital Ontology”
- Visual Culture: Image, Icon, and Ideology. 14th Annual KSU Cultural Studies Conference. Manhattan, KS. March 11, 2005.
- “Playing with the Past: Structural Pastiche and Visual Nostalgia XIII and Viewtiful Joe”
- Comics & Animation: Simultaneity & Sequentiality. 2004 UF Conference on Comics. Gainesville, FL. October 29, 2004.
- “Survival Horror Stories: Musical and Aural Landscapes”
- Narr@tive: Digital Storytelling, 2004. UCLA. Los Angeles, CA. April 23, 2004.
Nontraditional Conference Participation
- SSBot is a Google Spreadsheets-based tool programmed in Google Apps Script that makes it easy for users to create their own Twitter Bot in a few steps. <http://zachwhalen.github.io/ssbot>
- An Arthrogram
- This is an programmatically-authored book, written in Perl, that creates grid-style comic panel layouts in every possible permutation of a 3 x 3 panel grid.
- AMBP is a web-based archive that attempts to collect student and fan-created responses, remixes, illustrations or other interepretations for all 734 pages of the novel, House of Leaves.
- Other Digital Projects
- Other projects like my many Twitter bots and odd videos are listed on my website. <http://www.zachwhalen.net/projects>.
Courses Designed and Taught
- Modern Language Association
- Electronic Literature Organization
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Faculty Senator, 2014-15.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Assessment Coordinator, 2013 – present.
- University of Mary Washington, Academic Affairs Committee Secretary, 2011 – 2013.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Secretary, 2011 – 2012.
- College of Arts and Sciences, Arts, Literature and Performance General Education Assessment Working Group, 2011.
- College of Arts and Sciences, Academic Affairs Committee, 2010 – 2011.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Outcomes and Assessment Committee, 2009 – 2013.
- Department of English Linguistics and Communication, Events Committee, 2008 – 2009.
- The Programming Historian, peer reviewer, 2017.
- Modern Language Association, Committee on Information Technology, 2015-2017.
- Journal of Interactive Teaching and Pedagogy, peer reviewer, 2016.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Office of Digital Humanities, Startup Grant review panelist, 2012 and 2016.
- Polity Books, proposal review, 2016.
- Digital Literary Studies, peer reviewer, 2016.
- University of Minnesota Press, manuscript reviewer, 2016.
- MIT Press, proposal and manuscript peer reviewer, 2010-2012, 2015.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Insight Grant external assessment reviewer, 2013.
- Routledge Press, proposal peer reviewer, 2012.
- Design and Implementation of Educational Games: Theoretical and Practical Perspectives, Editorial Review Board Member, 2008 – 2009.
- Journal of Canadian Film Studies, peer reviewer, 2011.
- Journal of Communication Inqury, peer reviewer, 2011.
- Games and Culture, peer reviewer, 2010.
- Game Studies: The International Journal of Computer Game Research, peer reviewer, 2010.
- Gameology.org, Editor, 2004 – present.
- ImageText: Interdisciplinary Comics Studies, Production Consultant, 2008 – present.
- ImageTexT: Interdisciplinary Comics Studies, Production Editor, 2007 – 2008.
Available upon request.